Monday, October 25, 2010

Goblin Valley 2010

I hope this is not the last trip of the year but with the weather changing rapidly, it may be. I left Wednesday morning about 7am and went to Dennis Udink's house in Price. We left his house about 10am and headed to the Goblin Valley area (7 miles north of campground).


Dennis and I went on an evening ride around Temple mountain after setting up camp. We drove through a slot canyon. It was pretty cool (no water thankfully). On the west side of Temple mountain we saw a 1/2 track sitting half way up the mountain. We could not figure out how the miners got it up there and why they left it. We couldn't find any roads up there. There were a lot of old vehicles and mining equipment all over the area. The early miners did not clean up after themselves. That evening Dennis made a fire and we enjoyed the peace and quiet for at least one night.






















 Thursday after breakfast, Dennis and I went out about 10:30am to Wild Horse canyon. We headed south looking for caches and taking tons of pics. I'm glad I had Dennis there today. My knee was acting up and I had a hard time climbing up the hills. I did chance one small hill but paid for it afterwords. It was still worth it.  After Dennis retrieved one cache on a small hill he decided to climb up a very steep hill to get another cache. That's one cache I will never log but I bet the view was fantastic. 












Came back to camp about 3:30pm had snack & waited for others to show up. Watched a movie, Gone to Texas staring Sam Elliott as Sam Houston.  Ken and Jan (got wings) and Chris (DT6) pulled into camp. There went the peace and quiet. I went to bed early.

On Friday it started drizzling the night before & didn't stop till about noon today. I about lost the awning because of so much water. Made a few adjustments.  Went for a ride by myself since Dennis, Chris & Terry went on a climb I didn't want to go on. Drove down to Behind the Rim trail but did not take it. I'm not much of a gambler when I am by myself on those types of trails. It's cooler today. More people came into camp tonight.




Went on a quick ride with Chris & Dennis to get a cache behind Temple mtn. Saw a lot of old mining equipment. Came back & Traci & the boys wanted to go through the Slot canyon. I told Chris to take my 4-wheeler. I wanted to read  & relax for awhile. When Dennis & the gang came back we had a pot luck dinner with hot dogs as the main dish. I turned in early while Dennis convinced Chris not to put a gallon can of corn into the fire. I think he has a screw loose at times.



Woke up at 6:30am, read, prepared breakfast, started packing & waiting for everyone to get up. I noticed the fire had been scattered all over the place. In talking to Dennis, he said he went in the trailer for a minute and during that time Chris had put the can of corn in the fire. They aimed it between Terry's trailer and mine. After sitting in the fire for a bit, the bottom blew off and the can shot about 100' in the air and landed about 150' away. Next time I am going to park my trailer far away from the fire and from Chris.

By 11:30am I was packed an heading for home. It rained on me from Price to Orem. I had a lot of fun in the San Rafael Swell area with friends. One for the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment