Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rykkar's Birthday

Raylene mentioned that she wanted to go over to Ft. Carson, CO and surprise Rykkar for his 6th birthday. We would take the truck over if needed but a few weeks before we left, Ray purchased a new Dodge Journey, It was a much better ride and got better gas mileage than my truck. Rachele came with us and we left Thursday (Sept 27th) after Ray and Rachele got off work, about 5:00 pm. Raylene had printed out a map from google maps so we followed it (which was a mistake). It gave the shortest route so we turned at Frisco, CO and headed south towards Breckenridge and Fairplay (Hi-way 9), Hartsel and Woodland Park (Hi-way 24). We went over Hossler Pass (11,600') and Wilkerson Pass (9,600'). The road was very narrow and windy. At times we could only go 30 mph. I hear this is beautiful going the way we did but at 3:00 am, we could not see anything. Going this way took an extra couple of hours. We arrived in Ft. Carson about 4:30 am. I told Ray we are not going back that way.

Ray and Rachele got up early and saw Rykkar off to school, me, I slept in! Ray, Rachele and Amanda and the boys went shopping. I just relaxed for awhile and waited for all to return. That evening we went to the Ultimate Buffet in Colorado Springs. I ate mostly sushi. Not bad but not as good as some of our buffet's here in Utah.

Saturday we celebrated Rykkar's birthday and he went to a place kind of like Chucky Cheese. I wasn't going to go and sit there the whole time so I stayed home and watched the Ryder Cup. That evening we had cake and ice cream and watched Rykkar open his presents. Sunday, we headed home, going on the right road! It was a fast trip but fun to be able to spend time with the grand kids. Oh, btw, it was my birthday too but I am not six years old!

Pictures:
Camdyn (1yr old)
Bentley (facing), Rykkar (back), Rachele
Rykkar without his mask!
Bentley (left) and Rykkar eying the cake.
Bentley kept blowing out the candles

No comments:

Post a Comment