Sunday, August 15, 2010

Potter's Pond Trip

The annual Potter's Pond camp out was this weekend. It was a special one as it is the 10th anniversary of GeoCaching in the world. GeoCaching started 10 years ago in Washington state after the 24 satellites were put in the sky and the public given access to them. The very first cache placed in Utah is at Potter's Pond so that is why we have an event there yearly.

I loaded up the trailer and headed out on Thursday (Aug 12th) for a few days in the cool mountains. I took my daughter, Rachele with me. We stayed in spot #4 which was just enough out of the way to be somewhat quiet. The first night as we were setting things up, Dave (Cloudbuster2) and family took site #7. They were our only neighbors until Friday. It got pretty cold at night (32 degrees) and I had to turn on the heater and add a few blankets.

Friday brought most of the other cachers and Jan and Ken (gotwings) parked their motor home up by us. Our spot could handle about 4 trailers, it was nice an big. I went riding Friday while Rachele read a book. I found a few caches, one that was pretty funny out in the woods. In the evening time I went to watch Dennis and Traci Udink and their boys (Michael and Bradley) fish. I helped Bradley for a while and he seemed to take to me like a grandpa. Must be the white hair.Cortney Hunt and his boy's went fishing and caught nine fish while Dennis and family caught zero but each had fun.


 Traci and Dennis fishing at Potter's Pond West











On Saturday, I went on a 65.3 mile ATV ride with Dennis and family, Clodbuster2 and his family. We cached along the way to Horn canyon which overlooked the San Rafel Swell. It was a long ride but well worth it to see the Swell. Unbelievable! 


Clodbuster2, Traci, Miss Diddy, and others at a cache













That evening after dinner, Cortney went over to "Treasure" island and grabbed the cache for several of us then took me up to Potter's Pond cache since we both had never found it. I thought I was going to die climbing that hill but Cort kept dragging my butt up until we found it. I was dead tired by the time I got back to camp and too tired to go get the night cache. I got scolded from Traci for not staying up to find it. Perhaps next year.





Rachele and I loaded up this morning and headed home about noon.



As we got into town, it was 95 degrees. I was ready to head back up in the mountains to the 70 degree weather. But all in all it was a great weekend. I'm really glad my daughter went although I rode her a little hard at times for being lazy but isn't that what camping is all about, relaxing! I'd take her again in a heartbeat and she came up with a cache name, Plumpeanuts. Now she's hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment