Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fathers' Day

Today is Fathers' Day and my cousin James' "53" birthday. I was going to call him and tell him how old he was but received a call from my sister Gwen telling me James had been trying to get a hold of me since last night.

James' dad, Uncle Lewis, passed away last night. He had just turned 80 yrs old a week ago. You never expect this to happen and hope it never does but death is part of life. James and I talked about how we are taking our parents spot of being the old people and our kids have replaced us. What a cycle we live in. It's harder to accept when it happens to you.



So many memories of Uncle Lewis have come flooding back today. He was my second dad and I remember doing just about everything with him. Camping, fishing, hunting, working, attending church and spending time together as a family. It was a very special time and it helped me overcome some of the challenges I had at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment